Sunday, 13 August 2017

Mail on Sunday: My country must come before my party if Theresa May sides with the hardliners, writes former minister ANNA SOUBRY

Mail on Sunday: My country must come before my party if Theresa May sides with the hardliners, writes former minister ANNA SOUBRY


"Mrs May is making a great mistake if she allows her policy to be dictated by the Brexit ideologues. They effectively brought down John Major, David Cameron and, arguably, Margaret Thatcher – and will not hesitate to do the same to her.

I am proud of my loyalty to my party and my country.

People have asked me two questions, if the worst happened and we staggered recklessly towards a ‘Hard Brexit’ that would destroy the lives and livelihoods of my constituents: Could I ever see myself joining with like-minded people who want to save our country from such an appalling fate? And has that moment arrived yet?

The answer to the first question is ‘it is not impossible’; the answer to the second is ‘no’.

But I would be betraying my principles if I did not make it clear that country must always come before party."


I hope this is more than just bold talk. Anna Soubry failed to vote for a number of amendments to the Article 50 bill that might have softened Brexit.

No comments:

Post a Comment