Saturday, 27 August 2016

ConservativeHome: Why I‘m supporting the Homelessness Reduction Bill

ConservativeHome: Why I‘m supporting the Homelessness Reduction Bill

by David Mackintosh MP

"Picture the scene: you’ve worked and paid your taxes for most of your adult life, but recently things have spiralled out of control and you’ve ended up without a roof over your head. Perhaps you’ve suffered a bereavement, a relationship breakdown or mental ill health. Quite reasonably, you approach your council for help, only to be told you aren’t a ‘priority’ under the law because you’re not deemed ‘vulnerable’ enough, despite having nowhere to live. Doesn’t sound right does it?

Yet all too often this is exactly what happens, as I found out recently during a major Select Committee inquiry into homelessness – the first of its kind for a decade. As we now publish our final report, it’s clear to me that something needs to change, and with social justice high on the government’s agenda, I believe our recommendations can make an important contribution."

I fully support this bill. We need to radically change our housing policy to eliminate homelessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment