Friday, 24 June 2016

I felt like a Columbo Villain

I love watching Columbo films. So often there is a bit towards the end where the villain is convinced she has got away with it and about to see the back of Columbo. Then, he whips out a piece of evidence and then suddenly the sense of triumph evaporates. The villain searches in vain for a way to explain it, before meekly being led away by the cops.

Last night at the referendum count I was full of confidence and excitement, having seen the polls and the betting markets. Then we had the Newcastle result, then disappointment after disappoinment. I started at the computer screen watching the results, hoping that Remain votes would overtake Leave. After we lost Birmingham about 4:40 AM, I gave up and went to bed.

This morning I just felt dismayed, crushed and broken-hearted. Millions of other people, especially those in their twenties, who will lose out most from the loss of EU citizenship and job opportunities feel exactly the same way.

This is not a triumph.



5 comments:

  1. The average working class British person's live is going to improve with this vote. You on the on the hand are going to have to pay a measling extra 2 quid for your homosexual escapades in Germany. Forgive me if i'm less sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go and get a job washing cars.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps you are, in actuality, a Columbo Villain

      Delete
  2. I am 28 years old and I voted Leave. I feel vindicated not dismayed by the result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dare say you do, but please be aware that not everybody shares your feelings of triumph.

      Delete