Saturday, 20 May 2017

The Eternity Gate




The Sci-Fi game Warhammer 40,000 has some amazing artwork, but this piece, from the second edition of the game is my favorite. It depicts the eternity gate, leading to the throne of the Emperor of Mankind. As well as the Gothic awesomeness, I love the borrowing of Christian imagery in this artwork.

I got into Warhammer 40,000 as a kid at the same time that my parents moved to another town. This involved switching from going to an Anglican Church to a non-denominational Evangelical church that met in a school. Even at the age of 12, my sense of aesthetics was informed enough to find worshiping in a school with the latest contemporary choruses and a jazz band utterly banal. I greatly missed the Medieval church building I had previously attended. Warhammer 40,000 kept up my love of Gothic architecture and gave me a life long love of English cathedrals. I suspect it also helped to establish my monarchist convictions. I suppose with the Emperor confined to his Golden Throne life-support system and power residing in the High Lords of Terra, the Imperium of Man is a constitutional monarchy like ours. I suspect in the punkish days of early Warhammer 40,000 in the 80s, the corpse-emperor was probably meant as a satire of the queen and the royal family, These days, I think the Emperor is more of a Christ figure, who died and ascended a throne, defeating the powers of evil and establishing cosmic harmony.

I don't play Warhammer 40,000 these days, but I do love reading the Black Libray novels, especially the Horus Heresy series. I recently made reference to Warhammer 40,000 when discussing Sophiology.

No comments:

Post a Comment