Wednesday, 6 July 2016

The Telegraph: Tony Blair did not bewitch us into backing war in Iraq. We let him do it

The Telegraph: Tony Blair did not bewitch us into backing war in Iraq. We let him do it

by James Kirkup

First, a personal one. I supported the decision to invade Iraq and remove Saddam Hussein. I still do. That’s not, of course, the same thing as saying that I believe the post-war planning was properly conceived or implemented or an endorsement of the many other mistakes made by those who planned and implemented that invasion.

But the basic decision to use military force to remove from power a man who had overseen a regime of unspeakable barbarity and cruelty remains, in my view, the right one. And I mean morally right. The failure to implement that choice competently does not, for me, change that basic moral conclusion.


Excellent article. It largely captures what I think about the Iraq War.

No comments:

Post a Comment