Tuesday, 7 June 2016

From Age to Age, by Keith Mathison



Keith A. Mathison, From Age to Age: The Unfolding of Biblical Eschatology, 2009 P & R Publishing


This is a book-book theological survey of the Old and New Testament. I have read quite a number of similar books. Most of those were written from a Premillennial Evangelical perspective. This book, however, is Postmillennial in eschatology, holding that the Gospel will triumph over the whole world and thereby establishing God's Kingdom. The author explains how this theme of the Kingdom of God is developed through the revelation of Scripture and the divine covenants.

While this book is a solid exposition of Postmillennial eschatology, I think it would have been more effective if it had been structured thematically, rather than bibliographically. One of the best ever Premillennialist Biblical theology books, From Eternity to Eternity took a thematic approach. As I said, I have read many Old and New Testament surveys. When Mathison summarizes the themes of the prophets and epistles, he is treading on what for me is old ground. As a result, when he offered some fresh insights from his Postmillennialist perspective, he had already lost my attention. Nevertheless, more attentive readers than I am will find this book useful in establishing 'the big picture' of the Biblical narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment