Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Carly Fiorina: A Full Analysis of Her Insights, by Scott Palmer



Although Jeb Bush was my preferred choice for GOP nominee, I did sort of fall in love with Carly Fiorina. Not difficult, I suppose, when she was the only lady standing. In a nicer world, she would have won the nomination, but in this hard and cruel world, that was never going to be.

This booklet offers a series of lessons about leadership and success drawn from the career of Fiorina. It is all rather vague. The book does not offer much actual biographical detail about Fiorina's life, nor does it tell us anything about her beliefs and values.

One of the lessons did very much bother me:

Insight #7 "If someone believes they are limited by their gender, race or background, they will become more limited."

The problem is that discrimination is a reality in our society. To tell people that it is just a limitation in their head and if they just believe in themselves, they can do anything is a form of victim-blaming. I attended a college course where one of the students, a young black man believed that philosophy that discrimination is just 'in your head.' The other black students on the course quite strongly disagreed with him. An older black man said to him:

"I understand how strongly you believe that, but it's not my experience. There have been a lot of doors slammed in my face because I was black."

We need to deal with the realities of injustice in our society, not pretend they are not there.

No comments:

Post a Comment