Thursday, 5 November 2015

Catholic Bibles| A Review: 2 Little Offices of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Catholic Bibles| A Review: 2 Little Offices of the Blessed Virgin Mary

"I have mentioned before on this blog that one of my favorite devotions is The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary. There are a number of things that have attracted me to this liturgy of the Church over the years. First, the history of this office goes back many centuries, some say even back to the 8th century. Even though the Little Office has certainly changed over the years, I love the fact that there is this connection to the medieval Church. Secondly, it is an office in honor of Our Lady. Devotional to the Blessed Virgin has been an important part of my spiritual life since I started to take my faith seriously. With my wife and I praying a family rosary every Sunday night, I have found that this office is a great aid during the rest of the week. Those who have a strong devotion to Our Lady will find the Little Office to be quite powerful. Third, I love praying the Psalms, in particular the gradual Psalms (or Psalms of Ascent). The daytime Psalms for the Little Office are centered around those Psalms, which I always find a great comfort when I read them in the middle of the day. Fourth, this office is simple and compact. It fits easily in my bag for work or even into my pocket if necessary. Because there isn't much in the way of variation each day, unlike the older full Breviary or even more so in the newer Liturgy of the Hours, many, including myself, enjoy the comfort of hearing the same prayers and Psalms each day. I have prayed both of the full and shorter breviaries in the past, but I find myself attracted to the Little Office. Perhaps that has to do with my state in life, married with two (soon to be three) children, as well as two teaching jobs. Finally, I love having the Latin and the English side by side. It is great to be able to pray in both languages."

No comments:

Post a Comment