Saturday, 18 July 2015

A Guide to Morning and Evening Prayer, by Fr Robert Taylerson



Fr Robert Taylerson, A Guide to Morning, Evening and Night Prayer: How to Pray the Prayer of the Church, 2008 Catholic Truth Society, £1.95


It is remarkable how few Catholics are aware, let alone participate in the Liturgy of the Hours. I find it amazing that many devout Catholics are not even aware of the existence of the Liturgy of the Hours. Thankfully, the Catholic Truth Society published this helpful booklet explaining how to say the Divine Office.

This is a practical booklet, offering guidance as to how the offices are said. It does not send much time talking about why they are important, which might be needed in encouraging more Catholics to say the Liturgy of the Hours.

The insructions here might come across as a little complicated and intimidating if one has no prior experience of trying to say the Liturgy. I think I would advise Catholics to buy some version of the Divine Office and to try saying it daily before buying this book or some other guidebook.

2 comments:

  1. Although I come from a different tradition, I try to do stuff like this. I use some form of the Trisagion prayers or Book of Common Prayer selections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for dropping in!

      I actually say the Book of Common Prayer more often than the Catholic Liturgy of the Hours. But don't tell anyone!

      I have tried to say Orthodox prayers, but I just don't get on with them very well. I'm clearly just fundamentally western.

      Delete