Thursday, 26 February 2015

Pay for other people to be Entertained?

BBC News: No long-term future for BBC licence fee, MPs say


The fee is "becoming harder and harder to justify" given changes in the media, according to the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

The MPs suggested every household could pay a new compulsory levy instead.


I do not own a television and have no desire to watch television. I am quite outraged at the suggestion that I should be expected to pay for other people's entertainment.

2 comments:

  1. This is really odd, you think it will be voted? I do not have a TV neither and I find it aberrant to pay for something I am against its use in the current form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed my MP and he said he doubts this would ever be implemented, at least not for a long time.

      The current rule is that if you watch television in the UK, you have to buy a TV licence. A lot of people think this is unfair because:

      1) Many people watch TV, but don't watch BBC channels.
      2) The licence fee funds things like BBC radio and catch-up TV on the internet that you can enjoy without paying for a licence.

      Delete