Monday, 8 September 2014

Ste. Jehanne et Ste. Thérèse: How my initial devotion to Mary led to total consecration after the Feast Day of St. Thérèse

Ste. Jehanne et Ste. Thérèse: How my initial devotion to Mary led to total consecration after the Feast Day of St. Thérèse

She proceeded to explain the rosary to me. I did not really understand it all the first time around; however, I did know this. I knew that it was designed to help us pray that beautiful Hail Mary prayer that had swept me off my feet a couple of months earlier in the RCIA class. I knew it was a devotion to Mary and through her to Our Lord. To pray the rosary was to pray that heart-warming Hail Mary over and over along with the Our Father and a few other short prayers.

I loved it. I began praying it on a daily basis, sometimes even several times a day. My heart was attached to Mary, and this prayer, using these beads, seemed like the perfect path to draw closer to her. From the moment Josey handed me my first rosary, it became, and remains today, my most cherished devotion after the Mass, the Sacraments, and Eucharistic Adoration.
***

It did not take me long to get into those books. The first one I read was The Glories of Mary. I was astonished at how well developed the theology of Mary was in Catholic tradition. I was also delighted. St. Alphonsus’ praises for Mary seemed to leap from the pages like streams of holy fire to ignite the flames of devotion for Mary in my heart.


I can identify with this chap's story. As somebody new to Catholicism, the rosary and The Glories of Mary made a big impact on me too.



No comments:

Post a Comment