Wednesday, 13 August 2014

The Rosary Handbook, by Mitch Finley



The Rosary Handbook, by Mitch Finley, 2007 The Word Among Us Press

I bought this book at the same time that I bought my first rosary. As somebody new to Catholicism, I wanted to ensure I was saying the rosary correctly and that I truly understood its meaning. Mitch Finley provides an excellent and very helpful introduction to those new to the rosary, giving a brief summary of its history, an explanation of how to say it, followed by simple but intelligent reflections on each of the mysteries of the rosary.

Mitch Finley encourages the intelligent use of the rosary, with a full and intellectual engagement with the mysteries. This contrasts with Scott Hahn, who seems to accept a more passive rosary meditation.

At times, I get the impression that the writer takes a more liberal view of some things than I do and I get the ipression that he has an intellectual struggle with belief in miracles, something I can't really identify with. He seems to encourage the use of 'you' instead of 'thee' which I think is rather unfortunate. The use of the singular and more reverant form ought to be continued in my opinion.

Finley makes the interesting point that the wording of the Salve Regina could be read in a way that contradicts the truths of redemption in Christ, nevertheless he encourages the use of this prayer at the end of rosary. It's a prayer that has become very dear to me.

2 comments:

  1. The author writing, here. For the record I, too, prefer the more poetic language of "thee," "thy," and "thou." The publisher thought it advisable to give "you," etc. as an option in the book. And I have no problem with miracles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in.

      I knew you believed in miracles, I just got the impression that you struggled with them intellectually. Perhaps you were offering empathy to those who have such struggles?

      Delete