Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Supremacy and Survival: The English Reformation: Selling the Vatican to Feed the Poor


In between events, I saw Kathy Schiffer's post on her Patheos blog about an encounter with a young man who thought St. Peter's Basilica was both beautiful and a symbol of corruption--that it should be sold and the money given to help the poor. “I looked up at the great basilica, and I had two reactions: First, I appreciated its beauty and reverence; but then I thought, ‘What corruption caused someone to spend so much on this building when people are hungry’?” 
She responded with four good points:
1. Gratitude Requires That We Preserve the Gifts of Those Who Have Gone Before Us.2. Jesus himself expected that we would honor him with our wealth.3. The Poor Deserve Beauty, Too.4. Beauty Leads Us to Holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment