Monday, 4 August 2014

Salve Regina

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy,



Hail our life, our sweetness and our hope.
To thee do we cry,
Poor banished children of Eve;
To thee do we send forth our sighs,
Mourning and weeping in this vale of tears.
Turn then, most gracious advocate,
Thine eyes of mercy toward us;
And after this our exile,
Show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
O clement, O loving,
O sweet Virgin Mary



I have become very attached to the Salve Regina prayer. I not only say after completing the Rosary, but also after morning and evening prayer and occasionally during the day.

A while ago I was really struggling with how unfriendly my Catholic parish felt. It was so hard going to mass and nobody talking to me and making me feel welcome. When I arrived for the Easter Vigil mass, I really felt miserable. Before I stepped out of my car, I said the Haily Holy Queen. As I said 'to thee do we lift up out sighs, mourning and weeping,' I really felt it.

Immediately after I left my car, I heard somebody calling to me. It was a nurse from the hospital where I work. I had guessed she was probably Catholic, but I didn't know she went to my parish, as she went to mass at a different time. She gave me a really warm welcome. It was exactly what I needed at that moment. From then on I knew there was power in the Salve Regina and in the power of Mary's intercessions.

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice little story! Prayers from the heart make a whole lot of difference!
    I discovered the Salve Regina during Advent 2013 and it was a very sweet discovery! And a little time after I discovered this one: Stella Splendens
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2lw8nH6dQIo

    ReplyDelete